Friday 6 November 2015

The (long) road home


I’ve romanticized meeting my child for the first time and the emotions that you go through but the next steps are just not the same.  After the mother and child are deemed healthy, you’re moved to a room which is essentially a little larger than my cubicle at work and has a single bed, a chair that converts into a cot and a bassinet for your child.  Space is limited and the walls are not sound proof so you hear the cries of other babies while trying to make sure yours sleeps.  Despite this, this is your home for a few days while your wife recovers and your baby learns the ways of the world...oh and while daddy figures out what the heck he's doing. 

On the first night, I immediately got to change my first diaper…which wasn’t that bad.  The nurses give you the first one free and I watched to learn the process.  She decides to poop again and with my wife bedridden and no nurse around, I know it's my time.  Two days ago, I was making sales calls and talking fantasy football and now I'm a freaking dad changing a diaper...
We are extremely lucky that our baby as of yet is easygoing and put up with her father who lacks finesse while he bumbled through his first diaper change.  The cot was incredibly uncomfortable (luckily I was warned about this and brought a pillow from home) and the two of us slept a combined 3 or 4 hours on the first night.  Lots of "What was that noise?",  "Is she awake?", "does she need food?" and every single time...she's asleep peacefully.  This will take a while to get used to.
The next few days are a blur, with nurses coming in and out to run tests, teach you some tricks of the trade and ensure your competence as a parent (somehow they deem me fit).  For any future parent, make the most of this!!!  Ask questions and ask the nurses to help you (I’m a terrible swaddler and asked them to help swaddle as much as I could so she’d be happy and cozy). 

The least gratifying feeling as a parent is when you change that diaper perfectly and your child looks up at you and immediately poops again, making you change her again.  This will happen, a lot. Luckily she’s so amazingly cute that I let her frustrate me in this way so obviously she takes after her mother.

By day 2, I’m begging them to let us out early, trying to figure out how to speed things up and trying to learn as many skills as I can.  Baby momma is slowly recuperating and I'm making runs to the Quickie to grab snacks and treats while our visitors bring us love and well, more treats. 
I’d only read about a quarter of the “Preacher” graphic novel collection and by the end of this I’d read the entire series and half a book.   I kept waiting for Chloé to play with me but she seemed more intent of sleeping, waking up to pass gas and feeding.  Hopefully when we get home, she’ll want to play video games or maybe a little game of Monopoly.